Foundation Board Members
Nam Le Viet
Former Board of Trustees Presidents
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees of Maui Prep is comprised of a group of outstanding volunteers who work tirelessly to support our school. Every trustee believes deeply in the importance of the school to our families and our community.
The Board of Trustees does not handle the day-to-day management of the school. That is the responsibility of the Head of School and his Administrative Team.
The Board of Trustees acts as one body, not as individual trustees. Following are some of the practices that guide the work of the board. They are based on the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) Principles of Good Practice for Boards:
- Adopting a clear statement of the school’s mission, vision and strategic goals, and establishing policies and plans consistent with the mission.
- Ensuring that the school and the board operate in compliance with applicable laws and regulations, including the adoption of a conflict-of-interest policy.
- Accepting accountability for the financial stability and the financial future of the school, including strategic financial planning, overseeing operating budgets, setting tuition, setting salaries and benefits, establishing annual audits and participating actively in fund raising.
- Selecting, supporting, nurturing, evaluating and setting appropriate compensation for the head of school.
- Recognizing that its primary work and focus are long-range and strategic.
- Undertaking formal strategic planning on a periodic basis, setting annual goals related to the plan, and conducting annual written evaluations for the school, the head, and the board itself.
- Keeping full and accurate records of meetings, committees and policies and communicating its decisions widely while keeping its deliberations confidential.
- Establishing board composition that reflects the strategic expertise, resources and perspectives (past, present and future) needed to achieve the mission and strategic objectives of the school.
- With the head of school, cultivating and maintaining good relations with school constituents as well as the broader community.