Maui Prep students keep their skills sharp by engaging in a summer reading program.
In addition, enrollment in AP classes requires preliminary assignments to be completed by the first day of classes (August 11, 2021).
AP Class Summer Assignments
- AP Biology
- AP Calculus
- AP Chemistry
- AP Human Geography
- AP Literature and Composition (Please note: juniors and seniors enrolled in this course are exempted from the Summer Reading for Upper School)
- AP Studio Art 2D
You are required to read two books in total this summer:
- required book by rising grade level:
Rising 9th Grade - In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez
Rising 10th Grade - All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Rising 11th &12th Grade - Moloka'i by Alan Brennert
- a book of your choice (suggestions may be taken from this list)
This is the minimum amount of reading we expect you to do. In truth, if you want to expand your knowledge, intelligence, college possibilities, and academic strength, you’ll embrace the challenge to read all you can this summer. Teachers and parents provide the path, but only you can make the positive decision to feed your mind. Embrace the opportunity!
Read the required book and underline, highlight, and take notes on what interests you. Read with a pen or pencil in your hand and/or annotate your Ebook. Bring the book with you on the first day of school, and be ready to show your understanding of the book when you return. Keep track of all the books you read this summer
After you complete each book, complete each of the following:
You are required to read at least two books in total this summer:
- The Eighth Day by Dianne Salerni
- a book of your choice (suggestions may be taken from this list, but not required).
After you complete each book, complete the assignment and required reading log